Acadia National Park

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Pennsylvania Dutch (Lancaster County, PA)

The Pennsylvania Amish of Lancaster County are America's oldest Amish settlement.  I love the countryside and all the beautiful farms.  The Amish here ride around in buggys (they shun modern conveniences), hang their clothes on a clothesline to dry, and let their kids play outside without things like iPhones and computers.  I think it's a great way of life (minus the horse and buggies; I like a car).

Out of respect for the Amish, I didn't photograph their faces - and the kids' faces I blocked out.

(Hey, I didn't name the town!!!)














 
TRAFFIC JAM!

 
There are some beautiful homes in the country.
 
 
A cool mailbox.

 
The town was nice to walk around.



 
The Gourd Man




 
I loved this building in Lancaster.



 
Pretty weather vane.

 
For a fee, you can take a buggy ride (I didn't take one)



 
Crocodile Dundee waiting for a bus in Lancaster????

 
I love all the farms in the area.
 


 
Beautiful horses.

 
A very sweet pony








 
 Some kids playing - minus the X-boxes and iPhones!!
 




 
 I like how the Amish use nature to dry their clothing!  (Ok, so I DO like my dryer; but I use a clothesline sometimes too!)