Acadia National Park

Friday, October 25, 2013

Gettysburg

The Battle of Gettysburg was fought July 1–3, 1863, in and around the town of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, between Union and Confederate forces during the American Civil War. The battle involved the largest number of casualties of the entire war and is often described as the war's turning point.  Union Maj. Gen. George Gordon Meade's Army of the Potomac defeated attacks by Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia, ending Lee's invasion of the North.

This National Park site is an amazing place to visit.  I had no idea how big it was, so I didn't have enough time here.  I visited the cemetery where President Abraham Lincoln delivered his famous Gettysburg's Address, and some of the Battlefields.  It is really a great place to visit.

 
A bronze statue of Abe Lincoln at the visitor center.

 
The Gettysburg Address

 
A dapper-looking gent walking around Gettysburg.  He smiled for me when he saw me snapping his photo!


 
The Railroad Station in Gettysburg.

 
Lincoln Diner.  This town is everything Lincoln!


 
Well, aren't I just looking soooo pretty here at Gettysburg?!?!
 
 
 
 
This was the BEST! There was no where to park at the visitor center. There was one spot for a GREEN car (above), so I pulled my little Prius right into the spot (below)! 

 
 
 
THE SOLDIERS' NATIONAL CEMETERY

 
The next three photos were the spot where the Gettysburg Address was delivered.







 
Abe Lincoln Memorial







I found this very hard to even fathom; but, almost as many soldiers died in combat at the Battle of Gettyburg than during the entire Vietnam War [American lives].  The 3-day Gettysburg battle claimed 51,112 lives.  The Vietnam War, when the U.S. entered it in approximately 1965 until it ended in 1975, claimed 58,209 American lives.

 



 
We received a Medal of  Honor.


 
 
THE BATTLEFIELDS
 
 









 
 
 
NOTE:  Any statistics I quote in my blog are taken from Internet sites.  They may or may not be accurate.  They may be close, or they may be way-off.   I try my best to be accurate, but, hey, I believe everything I read like everyone else!