Acadia National Park

Monday, October 14, 2013

Acadia National Park (3rd time)

This is the third time this trip I have visited Acadia National Park.  The fact that it is closed did not deter me, nor anyone else, from enjoying it.  It was a beautiful day today, and everybody took advantage of this amazing place.  The good part of the Park being closed down is that it is FREE to get in!

This New Yorker is, obviously, a big fan of Acadia!

 
Closed?  Ha!

 
You just park outside the gate . . .

 
. . . and walk in!
 
 
Beautiful, beautiful place.

 
There are lots of seagulls lurking around waiting for you to drop food!


 
A nice hiking trail.

 
These are boats that you pay a big fee to go on and they drive you around to look at the park from the water.  I don't much see the point of that!

 
Everyone should pay attention!

 
More ships.



 
These people were just chillin' out!


 
That is some rough water!


 
My, I love me pic!
 



 
Gorgeous!

 
This is Thunder Hole.  I don't pretend to be intelligent enough to understand why the water is sucked into this cave and makes a thunderous noise!  The sign explained it, but, it was way too much reading for me to comprehend! 
 
 
A bike debacle - everyone went into Thunder Hole (maybe they all understand it!).


 
So, this is the hole.  Water flows in.

 
Then it starts to flow in with a lot of force.

 
Then it makes a big thunder noise and sprays out.

 
Water goes calm, then it does it all over again.
 
 
(To watch the video of Thunder Hole, push the play button.  Listen for the thunderous roar as the water rushes in and out.)
 
 
 
This is another beautiful part of Acadia National Park - the beach.  The water was like sub-zero, so nobody was swimming (especially ME!), but the beach was pretty to look at!
 

 

 
There's a beautiful pathway where you can hike down to the beach.  (I am getting some much-needed exercise!)
 




 
In northern Maine, fall colors are fading, but there is still a lot of color here.






The sky could NOT have been more beautiful.

 
A little squirrel, or chipmunk, or some other little rodent!

 
Plenty of beautiful doggies in the park today.


 
Look at this BEAUTY!!



 
The sun started going down and it got a little chilly in the park - I was outta there!

 
After a delicious pizza from a local pizza joint . . .
 
 
. . . I went back to my adorable little cabin! 
 
Open Hearth Inn, Trenton ME
 I chose this cabin because I noticed this sign as I drove by it.  I liked what the guy had to say (and agreed with him), so I stayed here two nights.  This area, and places like it, rely on tourism to survive in a horrible economy.  The government doesn't realize that with a government shutdown, what they are doing is putting hard-working people like the owner of this inn out of business.  I was glad I stayed here; it was a great place.