Acadia National Park

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Fun in Northern Maine

I left Bangor, Maine, and headed east on I-95 until it ended at Canada.  I wanted to see the "End I-95" sign, since I live where the "Begin I-95" sign is.  Well, I didn't realize that I went too far and ended up at Canadian Customs.  Not having a passport, I had to turn around and come back through U.S. Customs!  Ooops!!  The border guy asked a million questions then let me back in.  I need a passport!!

My destination was northern Maine, so when I-95 ended, I headed up U.S. Route 1 to the northeastern most city in the United States, Caribou, Maine.
 
A pretty rest stop along I-95.

 
I-95 ends here and begins in Miami.

 
Ooops, I went too far.




 
A quick turn-around put me back in Maine!

 
BEST YARD EVER!  Love the flamingos!

 
The little cat in the window is eyeing the flamingos!

 
BEST MAILBOX EVER!

 
Oh, yeah, right!  I would definitely buy a Cuban sandwich from this truck!
 

 
I was staying overnight in the most northeastern city in the United States - Caribou, Maine.
 
 
 I stayed at this great Inn called the Old Iron Inn in Caribou.  It was beautiful - lots of charm in a 100 year old home.
 
 
I loved this place.

 
They collected old irons (hence the name) and cool old phonographs.


 
An iron lamp

 
And, a beautiful sunset over northern Maine

 
The next morning, I headed west on U.S. 1 along the Canadian border.  It was a beautiful drive.  Maine is SO different from anything that I see in Florida.  It's a beautiful and remote part of the country.
 
This is a marker where road U.S. 1 ends.  I have seen where it begins (Key West, Florida) and now I have seen where it ends (Ft. Kent, Maine)!  It's right across the water from Canada.  There's a nice marker for it.
 



 
The bridge into Canada.

 
Canada

 
And, of course, my self-portrait

 
I continued on Maine Route 11 east, back to Bar Harbor, Maine.  I saw a lot of interesting animals and stuff along the way.
 
Some cute alpacas.
 
 
Look at those faces!!!

 
A pond filled with Canadian Geese.  I guess they weren't that far from home!
 
 
An adorable bunny.

 
Super-adorable bunch of goats.

 
I do not know what this animal is.  It was short like a pony, but with long hair.  I would guess it was some kind of bull, but it was too small.  Whatever he was, he was sweet and walked over to see me!


 
A bunch of wild turkeys.

 
Aaaaw!  Look at that face!

 
 "Sign, sign, everywhere a sign.
Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind.
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?"


 There are LOTS of signs in Maine!
 



 
I don't even know what this one means!

 
The was the ONLY moose I saw, despite the numerous warnings!